Hand dived Mull scallops: our way!
Seared scallops with butter and garlic
By November 24, 2012Published:
We like our scallops as simple as possible - quickly seared with a bit of butter, garlic and lemon. Scallops are not at all fishy so kids normally like them - a good introduction to shellfish!
- 8 medium dive caught king scallops
- 1 knob butter
- 1/2 clove of garlic chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- Sunflower oil
- To serve: rocket or other green salad leaves with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a wedge of lemon
- If your scallops haven't already been shucked, remove from the shell using a round-ended knife, discarding everything but the white muscle meat and roe. Wash thoroughly.
- Place a heavy based frying pan on a medium heat. While it's heating, rub the scallops all over with sunflower oil.
- When the pan is very hot (almost smoking) add scallops flat side down, spacing them out well. Cook until they are opaque half way up, then turn.
- When the other side is cooked, add the butter and chopped garlic, swirling it around until the butter is melted. Spoon the juice over the scallops.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon juice over the scallops.
- Serve on a bed of rocket or other green leaves, with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar